Monday, September 29, 2014

Bon's Book Club - Eleanor and Park



This month’s book for Bon’s Book Club was Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell. I was kind of excited to read this book because I have heard so many great things about it.  It seems to be one of the “it” books of the year!  Here is the description from Amazon:


“Bono met his wife in high school, Park says.
So did Jerry Lee Lewis, Eleanor answers.
I’m not kidding, he says.
You should be, she says, we’re 16.
What about Romeo and Juliet?
Shallow, confused, then dead.

I love you, Park says.
Wherefore art thou, Eleanor answers.
I’m not kidding, he says.
You should be.

Set over the course of one school year in 1986, this is the story of two star-crossed misfits—smart enough to know that first love almost never lasts, but brave and desperate enough to try. When Eleanor meets Park, you’ll remember your own first love—and just how hard it pulled you under.”

TiThis

Well, this book fell pretty flat to me.  I read it, but I didn’t love it.  In fact, about 25% into it I decided to put it down and read a more interesting book.  Only once I was done with that book did I pick this back up and plow through it.  Thankfully I was on my honeymoon and had lots of porch time overlooking the beach to read.

I think the main reason I didn’t like this book was that it almost seemed to be going nowhere.  It was the same old thing for almost its entire 335 pages.  His point of view, her point of view, his point of view, gasp they held hands, how he felt, how she felt, blah blah. Over and over again.  A teenage relationship can only build so much and this one wasn’t any different.

The couple themselves seemed so very awkward to me and I spent a good part of the book cringing. I guess I never had an awkward teenage romance….or at least that I remember!

Also, I hated the ending. So there’s that.

I’m honestly not sure what people see in this book.  It wasn’t terrible by any means, I guess I just need more excitement in my books??


Next up for Bon’s Book Club is Z: A Novel of Zelda Fitzgerald by Therese Anne Fowler.  I’m honestly not sure what to think about this book.  I hope its good!  I mean, she was friends with Gatsby in real life, its got to be interesting right?

Have you read Eleanor and Park? What are your thoughts?

Image and video hosting by TinyPic

1 comment:

  1. I cringed through a lot of it as well! Some of the interactions were so painfully awkward it was almost all I could do to get through it. Definitely not my fave. Here's hoping October's is better! Thanks so much for joining in!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...