Wednesday, September 3, 2014

Bon's Book Club - Brain On Fire



It's Book Club time again!


This month’s book for Bon’s Book Club was Brain On Fire: My Month ofMadness by Susannah Calahan.  I was kind of not looking forward to reading this book and almost decided not to purchase it.  You guys, I am SOOO glad I did!  The book is a completely true story, which I really liked. Here is the description of the book from Amazon:

“An award-winning memoir and instant New York Times bestseller that goes far beyond its riveting medical mystery, Brain on Fire is the powerful account of one woman’s struggle to recapture her identity.

When twenty-four-year-old Susannah Cahalan woke up alone in a hospital room, strapped to her bed and unable to move or speak, she had no memory of how she’d gotten there. Days earlier, she had been on the threshold of a new, adult life: at the beginning of her first serious relationship and a promising career at a major New York newspaper. Now she was labeled violent, psychotic, a flight risk. What happened?

In a swift and breathtaking narrative, Susannah tells the astonishing true story of her descent into madness, her family’s inspiring faith in her, and the lifesaving diagnosis that nearly didn’t happen. “A fascinating look at the disease that…could have cost this vibrant, vital young woman her life” (People), Brain on Fire is an unforgettable exploration of memory and identity, faith and love, and a profoundly compelling tale of survival and perseverance that is destined to become a classic.”


TiThis
This book was so incredibly interesting.  I was totally able to put myself in the authors shoes and understand how she was feeling, which I really loved.  Before this happened to her, she was a writer for the New York Post, so that should really tell you about her writing skills. It’s amazing to read such a good book by a woman who at one point could barely speak, would hallucinate things and even drool on herself.  

Some people might not like all of the medical details she writes about (they help explain her diagnosis and the reason for her symptoms) but I found them absolutely fascinating. I learned so much about the body and the brain through this book and it never once felt like I was being forced to, like I would in school.  I read it a lot while flying to Cleveland and I know there was several times where I exclaimed out loud “Wow” or “That’s cool” or “I never knew that.” 

Seriously, this was a fascinating book and I would definitely recommend it to anyone!  It was a quick read and had really short chapters, which are pretty much my favorite!
 

Next up for Bon’s Book Club is Eleanor and Park by Rainbow Rowell.  My co-worker suggested this book to me a few months ago, so I am excited to finally read it.  

Have you read Brain on Fire? What are your thoughts?
Image and video hosting by TinyPic

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...