Monday, October 7, 2013

Football Bimbos and Other Fans…

The fact that C has fans that love and adore him is awesome. But I am not going to lie, it can be very awkward and uncomfortable sometimes.  Yes, I realize that this isn’t the NFL and he’s not some giant celebrity (thank goodness) but you guys, Arena Football fans are die hard! We’ve been stopped in grocery stores, restaurants, and even airports just for C to give autographs.
After each game C and the team come out from the locker room and meet and greet with fans and sign autographs for about a half hour.  After the autograph session, the team all goes to a local bar to hang out for a while, where again, fans are invited.  I love that they do this, because it makes them so much more accessible to fans than in other sports. C loves it too.  Fan interaction is his absolute favorite part of playing football. 
Awesome if you are a fan, right? I certainly think so.  But some fans take it too far.  They start to feel like you owe it to them to hang out and that you are now their best friend.  C and I have had numerous fans invite us to their house to watch NFL games on Sunday, request that we come to their son or daughters flag football game/piano concert/birthday party or whatever random event they are having, or even once to a college football game out of state!  It’s a nice gesture, but often they get upset when you say no. Again, for some reason a lot of them feel like we owe it to them.

Even weirder, there has been an instance when a fan actually tried to invite herself on a vacation C and I were taking!  For bye week (which is the week the team gets a break during the season) C and I planned to take a trip to California.  I was talking to a fan and she asked our plans.  I told her we were headed to California (but definitely not what part) and that it was extra special because C’s birthday was during the break.  Her reply?  “Ooo maybe we can all come to California with you and we can have a big birthday party for C.” Um no?  I graciously responded that we hadn’t quite firmed up our plans and hightailed it out of there!

Another weird/inappropriate thing that has happened with a fan is two-fold.  I try to be friendly with everyone, but this woman just rubs me the wrong way. First of all, she is a single mother of four children, which I understand is not a difficult thing.  She always seems to make it to event alone though, never with the kids. She talks to a lot of the players like they are her best friends and is constantly inviting everyone places.  One time, she sent C a message on facebook asking how he had slept the night before!  Are you serious lady?  That is definitely not appropriate.  This woman also told me once that she wishes she could “rent a Rattler” to be a father for her children because they look up to the guys so much. Woah.

Now….this leads me to football bimbos and “jersey chasers.” Ugh.  In my opinion this is definitely the worst part about C’s job!  These women stand out so much at games that it’s comical.  You can tell right away what they are there for.  They are always the ones in sexy, tight clothing and high heels with their hair and makeup done up all fancy.  At a football game.  Really ladies? You are soooo obvious!  What is really funny to me is that these women usually are called “jersey chasers” because they are after the fame and money. Yeah, money.  What they clearly don’t realize is that Arena Football players do NOT play for the money!  These guys would make more money a year working at McDonalds….if that is any indication towards their pay.  Last season the guys got $400 a game (it has since changed). There are 18 games. You do that math.  The problem is, some of the guys like this kind of girl for some reason, which encourages this to keep happening!

I absolutely trust C and know that he would never fall for this crap, but that doesn’t make it a walk in the park.  It is sometimes difficult to see pretty girls standing in lines to meet him and get their picture taken with him. I know its part of the job….its just….ugh. He is great with it though.  Once a woman came up to him holding her blackberry and said “I need to get a picture with you and then after that I need to get your phone number.” I totally knew something like this was coming from her. Why? She was standing in line wearing, wait for it, a tight mini jeans skirt, a low cut top and heels!  Tell tale sign!  You know what C did when she said that?  He turned around and walked away. He didn’t give her the picture, didn’t even say anything, just left.  After that moment I knew I had absolutely nothing to worry about!

I’m honestly thankful that it isn’t any worse than it is.  I don’t think I’d be able to handle it all otherwise!

Alright I think this will be the last official “football Monday” for a while since the season is officially over unless anyone has any questions!  Anyone? Questions?
 Image and video hosting by TinyPic



No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...