Monday, October 29, 2012

Michigan Trip, Part IV

I have never tailgated for a college football game, but I had a lot of fun.  
The weather was gorgeous out and it was absolutely perfect in the shade.  We had prime tailgating spots as we were with the football crew so we were parked right next to the facility.  You know what else that meant?  Potty pass!  I am so grateful we got to go inside the building and not to a lovely port-o-john!
Tailgating with my love

After we had been there for an hour or so, C left with his friend to get some beer.  So C’s son and I stuck around are played a lot of Bag-O (or corn hole) and kicked around the soccer ball for a while.  It was then that he started called me his stepmom. Huh?  That was a shock! I certainly wasn’t expecting that.  Either C or N must have put that thought into his head because it certainly wasn’t something I had said!  I guess he does understand the idea of step parents because he has a step dad that lives with him….but still. It felt really odd.
Go Spartans!

We had a great time at the game….minus the fact that C had to trek all the way back to our car because they wouldn’t let me take anything in.  I had a little backpack with our water bottles, my wallet and the camera (among other things) and they refused to let me take it in.  Ok fine, I get it.  So I pulled my camera out so I could take it in, which was still in the case. Guess what?  Can’t take a camera case in either!  Geez people.  Just in case you are wondering, jackets weren’t allowed either.  Um what?
It was the first game of the season and they were playing Boise State.  Everyone had said the atmosphere would be electric and that there was nothing like it.  Being a NFL season ticket holder, I couldn’t imagine anything better so I was really excited.  It was kind of a letdown though….it didn’t feel any different than any other football game I’ve been to.  Even C said it felt so much different when he was in college. The game was still fun and the weather was fantastic.  If we didn’t have K with us we could have spent the game on the sidelines. Bummer.  Oh well, at least they won J 
The next day we went to C’s son’s grandma’s house to pick him up to hang out.  Talk about intimidating.  First I have to meet his son’s mother….now his grandmother?!?  We went over to her house and spent a good hour (at least) hanging out and chatting.  I was trying so hard to act like this was totally normal, I hope I fooled them!  At one point we got on the subject of step-parents (again) and either C’s mom or his grandma said something I will never forget. She said, “If Justine and Cliff get married then she will be your step-mom.” Holy cow! I was so shocked….who just outright says that?  I mean, I loved hearing it but that’s a pretty bold statement unless C has really been discussing all of that with them! I just I could remember which one said it, but I was too shocked to remember.
We spent the rest of the time hanging out with K doing various kid things. Chuckie Cheese pizza and Cold Stone Creamery were some of the highlights J
All in all I think it was a great trip.  I was so happy to be able to meet C’s son and get to know him a little bit.  It wasn’t nearly as awkward as I thought it was going to be meeting the rest of the family.   When we got home I did need a bit of a break though.  I can be very introverted and shy and meeting all of those new people and spending time in unknown places was tough for me.  I was happy to be home and comfortable in my surroundings!

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...